Single Malt/Blended Malt Scotch Whisky Tasting
Bottled By: Berry Bros & Rudd 1.5cl x 8
To kick off our virtual whisky tastings for 2021 we are thrilled to welcome Doug McIvor from the oldest Wines & Spirits merchant in the world, Berry Bros & Rudd.
Doug and the Whisky-Online team will take you through 8 different Berry Bros whiskies spanning from the awesome Berrys' Classic Range, through to the single cask range and the newly released winter 2021 releases.
To finish the evening we will raise a dram to Robert Burns with a special mystery dram.
All you need to do to take part in this tasting is to purchase an 8-dram tasting pack and join ourselves, and our host Doug via a computer from the comfort of your own homes.
Date: Friday 22nd January 2021
Time: 19:30 BST
Where: Virtual tasting via Zoom
What you need to do and what do you get
1. Order a tasting pack here.
2. Your pack containing X8 1.5cl drams will then be shipped out to you closer to the date of the tasting and you will be emailed a link to the zoom tasting and a 10% off voucher code.
3. Click the link at 19:15 (to allow for any technical issues you may encounter) on 22nd Jan 2021 and you will be accepted into the tasting.
4. Relax and get ready to pour, listen and taste, and questions will be welcomed from participants.
* Please note that the 10% off voucher can only be redeemed on the full-size bottle versions of the whiskies tasted on the evening from Whisky-Online Shop and will be valid for 14 days from the date of the tasting.
* Please note that it is advisable to familiarise yourself with Zoom prior to the tasting. If you would like assistance with this please email tim@whisky-Online.com. Please do not leave this until the day of the tasting.
1. Berry Bros & Rudd Islay Blended Malt | The Classic Range
2. Berry Bros & Rudd Sherry Cask Matured | The Classic Range
3. Ledaig 2009-2019 | 10 Year Old Berry Bros Cask 700331
4. Teaninich 2008-2019 | 11 Year Old Berry Bros Cask 710888
5. Dufftown 2009-2019 | 9 Year Old Berry Bros Cask 700212
6. Orkney Islands 2009-2020 | 11 Year Old Berry Bros Small Batch
7. Caol Ila 2009-2020 | 10 Year Old Berry Bros Cask 318769
8. Mystery Dram
Doug McIvor – Biography
Douglas (Doug) McIvor was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland in 1964 and moved with
his family to London when he was 11 years old. He joined the wine trade in 1986 and
began specialising in spirits in 1990 after joining Milroy’s, a specialist whisky retailer
and exporter in London’s Soho.
Doug learned much about the aromas and flavours of whisky during his time working
with the brothers, John and Wallace Milroy. Wallace Milroy, who sadly passed away
in 2016, was the author of “The Malt Whisky Almanac” and “Whisky in Your
Pocket” and inspired Doug to write “Scotch Whisky: Top Single Malts” in 1998.
Brother John was an inspiration in many other ways including how to make profits
and “enjoying picnics and a lemonade at lunchtime”. Doug has contributed to Whisky
Magazine as a guest tasting judge regularly judges rum for the International Spirits
Challenge, was made a Keeper of the Quaich in 1999 and Master of the Quaich in
Having joined Berry Bros. & Rudd in 2001, Doug realised the great potential to help expand their activity with merchant bottlings under the Berrys’ Own Selection label and began to champion this activity into many export markets. Under his guidance, Berry Bros &Rudd was voted Whisky Magazine’s World Whisky Retailer of the Year in 2006 and 2007. Doug also guided them to success as Independent Bottler of the Year in both 2010 and 2011.
Doug’s concept for blended malts under Berry Bros. & Rudd’s Blue Hanger brand has seen success at the World Whiskies Awards on two occasions. In 2008 Blue Hanger 3rd release was voted Best Blended Malt in The World and in 2011 the 4th release was voted Best Blended Scotch Malt Whisky. In 2012, Blue Hanger 6th release was elected best Blended Malt in the World by Whisky Advocate with a rating of 94 points.
Whilst Blue Hanger has continued to garner regular awards, Doug has since been
involved in blending Berry Bros. & Rudd’s Classic Range of whiskies, rum and other spirits, The Perspective Series of aged Blends. He continues to strive to enhance the company’s exemplary record of bottling some of the best spirits to be found within their hallowed halls and available around the world.
Doug lives in London and has two grown-up sons. He enjoys a spot of fishing in his
spare time and arranging his stamp collection when it’s cold and raining. Summertime whisky enjoyment covers the likes of BB&R’s Allt a Bhainne 1995 at 52.7% but with a dash of water and when the winter months arrive the standard Caol Ila 18-year-old is a go-to favourite.