Adelphi

The original Adelphi whisky company was a distillery founded in the heart of Glasgow in 1825. Archibald Walker, a whiskymaker with distilleries in both Limerick and Liverpool, bought and expanded the distillery - now known as Loch Katrine Adelphi - in the 1880s before selling it in 1902 to Distillers Company Limited (forerunners of Diageo). DCL ceased malt whisky production at the distillery a few years later but grain distillation continued until the 1930s when the distillery was finally closed for good. 

The Loch Katrine Adelphi distillery buildings were demolished in the early 1970s - the site is now home to Glasgow Central Mosque - but in 1993 Jamie Walker, a great-grandson of Archibald Walker, started a new Adelphi whisky company, this time focused on independent bottlings of single malt and single grain whisky.

Although relatively young by comparison to established independent bottlers such as Gordon & MacPhail or Cadenhead’s, Adelphi rapidly established itself as a high quality outfit with Charles MacLean on the tasting panel and several highly desirable single cask bottlings of 1960s Springbank and 1970s Ardbeg. Adelphi quickly emerged alongside Signatory and Douglas Laing as one of the leaders of the second wave of Scotland’s independent whisky bottlers.

Investors Donald Houston and Keith Falconer bought the Adelphi company from Jamie Walker in 2004. Houston is the laird of the Ardnamurchan Estate in Scotland’s western highlands, and it was on his grounds that the Adelphi company established the Ardnamurchan distillery in 2014, with a view to strengthening the company’s supply of single malt for their house Fascadale brand and for reciprocal trading with other distilleries.

Ardnamurchan began releasing work-in-progress spirits in 2016, doubled production to 400,000 litres per annum in 2018 and released its first single malt whisky Ardnamurchan AD/09.20:01 at the end of 2020.